... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Survival of the fittest

I unintentionally started this iris experiment back in 2002 I think, with a cross of 'Clown Pants' X 'Rosemary's Dream'. The seeds germinated well in these two medium size plastic pots and I getting them into the ground just never seemed to be at the top of my to-do list. The first picture shows them coming out of winter in February of 2004. Cleaned up and even sporting a bloomstalk, the second picture shows them in May of 2004.
Fast forward 10 years... the third picture shows what's left of them still in those same pots.
Keep in mind that they've never been fertilized in all that time. AND they've endured repeated spells of drying out, when I've forgotten to water them. Heck I don't think I watered them hardly at all last summer. So these few remnants have got to be some of the toughest little guys around. Gotta get them into the ground finally after all these years so they can show me what they can do in normal conditions. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment