... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Black Widow Spider

It was really warm out today, so I went out to borrow two cinder blocks from the garden charcoal production pit. The second one had a little web nest and I didn't want to accidentally take any spiders into the basement. When I started scraping the web out (with my finger no less) I noticed that there was indeed a spider in it. And... it was suspiciously black and shiny. Pulled my finger back in a hurry (thankfully) and went to get a jar so I could get a closer look at it. Sure enough, looks like it's a black widow. I'll have to make it a point to be a little more careful when grab pots and move them around, because there's almost always little spider nests just like this one underneath the rims. I'd rather not find out what it feels like to get bit by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment