... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fall Storage Radishes

Here are my Fall storage radishes that have been in zip-lock bags in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator since November 12 (over 3 months now). I'm saving these to replant in the Spring for seed production, so I didn't even bother to remove the dirt from them. I should have put something in the picture to give an idea of size, but the 'Round Black Spanish' (3rd from left in first picture) is about the size of a golfball. So, the others are about the size of typical small baking potato. There are two 'Long Black Spanish' on left in first picture. The other five are the F1 hybrids with 'Long Black Spanish' as pod parent and 'Roseheart' as pollen. I was selecting for purple foliage - notice how nicely colored the one on the far right is. The second pictures shows three of the reverse cross F1 hybrids ('Roseheart' X 'Long Black Spanish'). If it weren't so cold I'd go check on the status of the few I left outside to see if they've survived the winter so far. Here's a link to the November 12 post when I dug them up: November radish post .



No comments:

Post a Comment