... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Friday, February 8, 2013

New Strawberry Seedlings

I'd been having issues with "damping off" (fungal diseases that rot seedlings stems and roots). So before I planted this latest batch of strawberry seeds, I microwave-sterilized the potting soil and have kept it in a sealed clear plastic salad container. Some non-pathogenic molds started growing on the surface so I dusted with cinnamon and powdered oregano. It seemed like it inhibited some of them but encouraged others. In any case, the seedlings seem fine with it. Although they probably could use a little more light.
I bought a huge "bale" of ProMix potting soil to use for seed starting and I'm hoping that it might have less issues with damping off.

No comments:

Post a Comment