... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Hopeful rugosa cross

I'll have to check my notes but I think this is 'Moje Hammarburg' rugosa rose (otherwise it's 'Dart's Dash'). I just prepped two flowers to receive pollen from my relatively sterile (never set any hips on it) F1 hybrid from rugosa X 'Hazeldean'. The petals of that hybrid, and a few buds too, are in the second image. It's not yellow but at least it has some yellow in the center of the flower and the anthers are yellow too.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic! Hope I can coax something from your rugxanth. Let's term the Hazeldean " flesh toned" :P Looks lovely, maybe someone can introduce it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it didn't work out - almost non-existent pollen - but I'm sure I'll figure out another pollen to use on that great rugosa.
    And as interesting as the rugosa x Hazeldean is, I don't think it's really worthy of registration. It's once blooming (and very small-flowered) and not as attractive as you're probably imagining.

    ReplyDelete