... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Figs again!

Picked our first 'Hardy Chicago' figs already, July 5th! I think these are breba (?) crop from overwintered buds. They were good but not quite as good as I remember the main crop figs from last year. Of course, there are plenty of main crop figs forming but I don't know when they'll be ready. Looks like we'll get to try 'Brown Turkey' and 'Celeste' this year. They're really getting growing this year, but still not as big as the 'Hardy Chicago' which is already about 12 feet tall in spite of all the cuttings I took off of it this Spring.
If you've never had fresh figs - I hadn't until I grew them myself - they're sweet and juicy with a texture that makes me think of peaches. And considering how easy they've been [no disease, no bugs without any sort of sprays], they're well worth planting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment