... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mints

Finally got around to using the dried peppermint from last season in a form that turned out to be pretty good. I'd had some not-so-good experimental attempts last year and was discouraged for a while.
This time I powdered the mint leaves and sifted them to remove bigger chunks. I mixed this into what was essentially some very thick icing - powdered sugar and heated milk with more powdered sugar added until it was pasty. I pressed this out thin on parchment paper and then peeled of and put on plastic wrap covered plate in the fridge to cool. Meanwhile I melted some chocolate chips and smeared them thinly on both sides of the mint layer - cooling in between sides. When it was all cooled I cut into squares. They tasted very similar to peppermint patties, but with the hidden bonus of getting some of your green leafy vegetables in each bite! 

No comments:

Post a Comment