... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mixed Pollen Iris Experiment

This is the first seedling to bloom from my crazy mixed pollen experiment. It's basically a normal cross between two diploid Miniature Tall Bearded irises but under the influence of an overwhelming abundance of pollen from Iris psuedacorus. The plant is exceptionally [even abnormally] vigorous but I see no signs of anything "out of the ordinary" about the bud or flower. Two more flowerstalks are coming up on this young clump. It looks like it could take-over the world at the speed it's increasing.

1 comment:

  1. I think I may have spoken too soon. The form of this one is definitely quite unusual now that it has opened completely. It's nearly a flattie!
    I'm sure I'll be posting more on this experiment!
    But I really wish I had lots of my own pictures of the parents to post, because I made a collage of pictures borrowed from the web (just for my own viewing purposes) and it's pretty cool!
    I'll see what I can do with my own pictures. ;0)

    ReplyDelete