... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Doomed Squash Cross?

Well I haven't been having the best of luck with the squash crosses this season. The vine borers killed the other 'Delicata' plant with a hand-pollinated fruit on it (from pollen of my hull-less lines). I don't even know why this one fell off. The moschata crosses (between 'Long Island Cheese' and 'Neck Pumpkin') have aborted along with most of the fruits from bee polination. But at least the moschata plants look good. 'Delicata' definitely isn't well-adapted to the challenges here [squash vine borers, squash bugs and various diseases]. But in all fairness my own hull-less lines are suffering too. I was hoping 'Delicata' would bring some flesh quality improvements to those hull-less lines. What are the chances I can get any viable seeds out of this immature fruit if I leave it sit on the counter???

No comments:

Post a Comment