... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rosa carolina

I found this native species rose growing on a heavily wooded lot in West Virginia. I've identified it as Rosa carolina (rather than Rosa virginiana) primarily based on the non-glossy foliage and the reliable repeat bloom it has, usually at the ends of new canes.
Here are two new flower buds about to open while the regular season hips are nearing maturity in the background.
I have a once-blooming seedling from pollen of this carolina used on the Hybrid Tea, 'Fragrant Cloud'.

http://maprc.blogspot.com/2011/06/fragrant-cloud-x-rosa-carolina.html
http://maprc.blogspot.com/2012/05/fragrant-cloud-x-rosa-carolina.html

I used to have a rugosa x carolina seedling that did repeat at the ends of the new canes, but lost it in a move.
I'm hoping that those hips in the picture have at least a few hybrid seeds from the fedtschenkoana pollen I'd applied during bloom season.

No comments:

Post a Comment