... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Duct Tape Squash Bug Egg Removal

I tried smooshing the egg clusters with my fingers in the past but sheez that's a little gross. So I tried tearing them out along with a small piece of leaf. That was too rough on the plants. Then someone mentioned duct tape. Well wouldn't ya know it - it works!!! Woo hoo!!!

And I also figured out this season how to deal with the adults and the squadrons of juveniles from missed egg clusters - soap spray. Why didn't I think of this years ago! For a couple of weeks now, I've been using old fashioned plain Murphy's Oil Soap (not the newer formulations of Murphy's floor cleaners).  It has to be sprayed right on the bugs or else does no good. Here's a link to the Colorado State University Fact Sheet with measurements and application advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment