... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rosa laevigata

The foliage on this species rose is fantastic. It's so clean that it almost looks like plastic. I've seen mildew on the flowerstalks before but not much of anything is ever a problem on the foliage here. Unfortunately, it's not reliably cold hardy enough to keep alive for long here. And I've only ever gotten it to cross with anything else twice. Neither seedling made it to maturity. But, I haven't given up - which is why I have it again. Call me bull-headed but the thought of this rose blended with others is just too much temptation to not keep trying. Did I mention the tennis-ball size single white flowers scented like "circus peanut" marshmallow candy?

No comments:

Post a Comment