... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cold snap and Viola arvensis hybrids

I pulled the temperature data for the last two days and this morning. We bottomed out at -2 degrees F yesterday morning and hovered in the single digits for a long time. With no snow cover, this should be a good test of cold-hardiness for a lot of stuff around here, like these Viola arvensis X pansy seedlings. I'll try to get some after-freeze pictures in a couple of days (and of course whenever they bloom later in the Spring).

3 comments:

  1. Wow, looking great Tom! Can't wait till spring to see them in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan!
    If my pollinations worked, they should look like the same crosses I did years ago - which is a lot like Viola tricolor (Johnny Jump Ups). I'd like to try to exaggerate the arvensis flower shape when I select the later generations this time. It would be a neat change from the typical round flat pansies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think links work from here but should be able to cut and paste these URLs to see the hybrids I got before:

    http://maprc.blogspot.com/2012/12/viola-arvensis-x-pansy.html
    http://maprc.blogspot.com/2011/12/viola-arvensis-hybrids.html

    ReplyDelete