... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Monday, December 7, 2015

Some perennial edible alliums

So far, these elephant garlic have been one of the best perennial onion/garlic plants here. In the past, I've always dug them up in the summer and replanted a little later, but I didn't get around to them this year. Even so, they've taken it upon themselves to come up again anyway. I like a plant that takes this kind of interest in its own survival!
 I've also got some walking onions (also known as Egyptian or topsetting onions) which are pretty good at being perennial but I haven't been that impressed with their usefulness. So, I'm hoping these new 'Yellow Potato Onions' I just got a few months ago from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange will be a better really useful and perennial onion for us. I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment