... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

2017 Tomatoes


It's been a while since I've gotten to post here, but I thought that maybe the new phone would allow me to post directly. I used to have to fire up the laptop if I wanted any pictures. And what's a post without pictures?!?! So here's a try with a picture of our 2017 tomato crop - late planted and late harvested like always. 😉


These should ripen slowly over the next couple of months.




There are three breeding lines represented here:
"Wooly Pimp" on the left derived from currant tomato and Angora.
"Wooly Yellow Pear" which has the Wooly gene introgressed into 'Yellow Pear'. I specifically selected this particular line because it evidentially had a crossover event to get the pear/oval fruit shape and Wooly onto the same chromosome.


"Wooly Beefsteak" to the right of the scissors are derived from outcrossing some older Wooly lines with bigger types like 'Coustralee' and 'Mortgage Lifter'.
I'm undecided on whether I like the dark green shoulders of some of these or if I prefer the "shoulder-less" ones. Seems like I recall some association with increased pigment and so nutrient content, but that dark green shoulders were also maybe associated with uneven ripening???

2 comments:

  1. Oops, looks like that didn't work. Check back in a couple of days and hopefully I'll have gotten a chance to add the proper picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figured out a "work around" to get the picture in without having to fire up the old laptop. 🙂

    ReplyDelete