... growing and hybridizing all kinds of plants in zone 6b Maryland since the 1980's.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lettuce, radishes and cabbage

A few plants set aside for seed production...

these three lettuce plants were volunteers (I don't know what variety) that overwintered behind the house, so I dug and moved them to the garden to encourage them to make lots of seed. They're about tennis ball size right now.



...two kinds of winter radishes (ones intended to be autumn grown and stored for winter use). I kept both of these kinds over winter in zip-lock bags in the vegetable/crisper section of the refrigerator. To the left of the stake is 'Long Black Spanish'. To the right of the stake is a Chinese pink-fleshed variety (the name escapes me right now). I'm hoping that the insects are intercrossing these two for some fun stuff to save over this coming winter.


... and a whole patch of 'Stonehead Cabbage' that cost $2 for all dozen plants last Fall. I figured they were selling cheap because it was too late for them to make decent heads. But, that size seemed ideal to winter over and use as seed producers. There are some of my glossy kale/collard hybrids in bloom nearby and I'm hoping to find some glossy offspring among the seedlings that I eventually will grow from the seeds of these cabbages.

No comments:

Post a Comment